Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Elvis Facts

A couple of months into my research I found a list entitled, Little Known Facts About Elvis.  The list was made up of about 20 items.  Only one stuck in my mind.  It read: Not many people know that Elvis stuttered.  I was surprised, and slightly confused.  I mean he was a singer, an actor.  I watched him perform on the Ed Sullivan Show, Milton Berle Show, Steve Allen Show, Johnny & Tommy Dorsey Show...........he never stuttered, not once.  Is this really true??  So I tucked it away.  Thinking it must be a mistake.  As my research continued, it was mentioned from time to time.  What are they talking about.  A slight speech impediment I thought.  Nothing obvious for sure.  I located the website for L.C. Humes High School where Elvis graduated.  Students post memories of their long gone school days.  Several mention knowing Elvis.  But one former classmate, mentioned Elvis' speech.  This is what she writes:  Elvis Presley and I were good friends and he liked to come over to my house because my mother would make him toasted cheese sandwiches and his beloved peanut butter and banana sandwiches.
After graduation, when Elvis was beginning to make a name for himself as a singer, I received a phone call from Miss Ginny Allensworth asking me to come over to Humes and help Elvis with his English because he had been invited to sing on the Ed Sullivan Show.  I laughed and said, "Miss Ginny, Elvis wouldn't listen to me when we were in school and I doubt if he would listen to me now."
I did meet Elvis at Humes and he agreed to let me coach him.  After talking for a while, he said "Well, if you are so intent on helping me, why don't you come to New York, too, to be sure I do it right."  I ended up backstage at the Ed Sullivan Show and got to see Elvis perform.
I wondered why would he need help?  With what exactly.

About a week and a half ago I'm watching Elvis on YouTube.  I like the old stuff from way back in the 50s.  I may have missed out on seeing him when It happened, thanks to the electronic age, I can watch it here in present day. Exactly like it happened.  I come across a video named  Elvis Presley (Live From The Louisiana Hayride) by OnlyFifties. When I listen to it I can hardly believe what I hear.  Elvis first appeared on the Hayride Oct. 16, 1954, but there is no date identifying the exact date of the video.  Sure enough Elvis did indeed stutter.  I was amazed, shocked, as to how severe his stutter was. Since he never displayed this characteristic, I thought it must have been a very temporary situation.  After all he was only 19.  I listened to Elvis during a recording session for the song Like A Baby (Takes 1,2 and 4) posted on YouTube by Jackiej61too.  Which was done in 1960 for his first album after his discharge from the Army, Elvis Is Back.  Between the first and second take one can hear him stutter.  So the condition was not temporary.  He still had it at age 25. 
I have read many times that he was painfully shy growing up.  Maybe this is one of the reasons why.

No comments:

Post a Comment